Cheesy Chorizo Sprout Bake
Once again Tony from @Fitfatfunfood has thought outside the box and taken your traditional Cauliflower cheese and Raised it to Cheese Chorizo Sprout Bake. We asked him to create some festive recipes for us and what is more Christmassy than the good old Brussel Sprout. A good way to hide the veg for fussy little ones at Christmas as well.
- 1 pint of full fat milk
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 50g strong cheddar
- 50g parmesan
- 1/2 packet of Lane farm cooking chorizo
- 1 slice of day old bread roughly chopped or whizzed in processor
- 250 to 330g sprouts trimmed and halved
- Make a roux with the milk, flour and butter: melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and let it cook gently for a minute or two. Heat the milk in the microwave and add in 4 batches to the roux (flour and butter mixture) until incorporated and adding the next batch. Cook and stir for a few minutes. Add the mustard, bayleaf and nutmeg and cook for a few more minutes, stirring so it doesn’t catch. You want something the texture of double cream. Take off the heat and stir in the cheddar.
- Cook the sprouts in boiling water for three minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water and allow to dry. They should still be firm.
- Place sprouts in an oven proof dish - I used an enamel pic tin.
- Pour over the sauce (removing the bayleaf)
- Top with the chorizo, bread and parmesan
- Put in oven for 25 minutes at 180c until bubbling and bro