By Tony Moorcroft from @fitfatfunfood
I love Shakshuka and there are endless variations so use this as a base for a great brunch dish. The base should be a spicy tomato sauce, in which you braise eggs - you can do this on the stove or in the oven.
- 2 fresh free range eggs
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Tin of plum tomatoes - I prefer Multi tinned San Marzano tomatoes for best flavour
- Half a pack of Lane farm chorizo
- 1 large inion finely chopped
- 2 peppers (vary the colours chopped into strips
- (Additional veg of your choice - I like to add greens like purple sprouting broccoli)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp harissa (optional)
- pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- chopped coriander
- In a medium frying pan warm the oil and add the onion and gently sauté for 10 mins
- Add the spices and harissa, salt and pepper.
- Add the peppers and garlic
- Cook for a few minutes until softened
- Add the tinned tomatoes breaking them up
- Cook for about 10 mins with a lid off until the tomatoes have thickened.
- Add the purple sprouting broccoli if using and put lid on and cook for a few minutes.
- Create a couple of wells in the sauce and carefully break each egg into each well.
- You can put the pan in an oven at 180 for about 8 minutes or leave on the stove at a low heat with a lid on until the whites set and the yolks are still runny.
- Serve with crusty toasted sourdough or focaccia..